Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Flowers for me....from me.

“Truly loving another means letting go of all expectations. It means full acceptance, even celebration of another's personhood.” unknown author

When ever I go to the Saturday market, I always look longingly at the gerbera stand. Gerberas are one of my favourite flowers, I had them in my wedding bouquet.
Last Saturday I bought myself this bouquet. For no other reason than I wanted to. I just felt like making my day a little brighter with some flowers. I would never buy myself a bouquet of flowers. Instead I would expect that my husband should because that's what loving husbands do. Right?

There was a young couple in our church and it seemed like the husband was forever giving his wife flowers. And I used to be a little miffed. It seemed like their marriage was so lovely, and she was treated like a princess. That was until we had them over for dinner and we talked about how he was always giving his wife flowers and he admitted it was because he was always making up for being in the doghouse for something he had done wrong!

After nine years of marriage, I no longer expect my husband to get me flowers, because unmet expectations breeds dissatisfaction. If you want or need something you are better off just communicating and asking...or just getting it yourself. And if you are blessed enough to be surprised with a bouquet of flowers, then its so much more enjoyable.


6 comments:

Sima J said...

I like your way of thinking. I get flowers .. usually orchids, I wonder why ...? tehe (for those of you reading who don't know me, my husband grows them)

PaisleyJade said...

I love gerberas - my favs too! Fresh flowers are so nice although I love what my husband always buys me when he's in the doghouse (haha): chocolate and magazines!

Love what you've written Jackie - sooo true! I need to get you to share at mums group ;)

Kendyl's Place said...

Beautiful flowers! I had them in my wedding bouquet too... I like your thinking Jacksta! Ill definitely have to remember that... One of my weak points...

Widge said...

love that you brought yourself flowers!
I hate getting things when they are in the dog house...I'd much more appreciate it for no reason at all!

Betty May said...

Cool post jax!

Rachel Kate said...

so agree with widge! i hate getting stuff as an apology :)