Friday, February 8, 2013

creating

The creative juices have finally started to flow.
Its been a while. A long while. But I have discovered that I like trying new things. What I used to enjoy creating BC (before children), is different to now.

Out of virtually no where I decided I would try and make a quilt. How hard could it be right? Well, pretty hard! For me anyway. I am once again winging it. In fact..."winging it" is my life mantra! I bought some square quilt pieces and have progressed slowly. As I have mentioned before, Im no natural sewer...in fact my sewing machine still lives in its box, and I have mini panic attacks when I go to the spot light fabric department.

There have been times I have wanted to give up, but my lovely mother in law has helped me breath through it and encouraged me to keep going and get it finished. Its supposed to be a picnic blanket. I have the finished product in my head.... But im thinking quilting might not be for me. I'm quite OCD about things looking symmetrical and and having the colours coordinated EXACTLY. So it has been an interesting exercise. Sewing straight and cutting straight are not my best skills. Anyhoo heres a sneaky peak. I think perhaps showing you might help me actually finish it. I would like to sit on it at the beach this summer!

Laying all the patterns out the first day I bought it.

Sewn  it all together. Not sure what to do next? 
Added some black around the edge.

And that's all I have done so far. This is going to be one expensive picnic rug!


Creating Curry.

I'm loving my curry spices. I'm a bit of a plastic Indian  I love the spices but hate the chili heat. My little brother bought me this curry spice tin for my wedding present many years ago, and it is special to me because it has an engraving on the top with out wedding date and name on it. A very thoughtful present for an (at the time) 18 year old boy.

You can make a curry out of anything. And what I learnt from my mum is there is no recipe, you put and little of this and a little of that. No curry ever seems to taste the same, well none of mine do anyway. Most towns have an Indian curry spice shop. If you are desperate you can try the supermarket stuff (think masterfoods or greggs), but in order to get descent turmeric and ground Marsala you need to hit the authentic Asian markets.



Other key ingredients for a curry are onions, garlic and ginger. Thankfully my kids love curry, so no worries about having to get the kids to eat.
Go on, give it a go!
Or if you are local, come over for dinner, and ill cook you up a feed :)

Creating CAKE
I had a friend over for coffee this morning, and we are both moaning about how we need to get out and lose some pounds, but I really wanted cake!
So I made a mini layer cake. I have these cute little mini spring form tins and made a double layer chocolate fudge cake with a butter mocha icing.
So good and it was so little we didn't feel so guilty!

Its sitting on a side plate!


Oh yeah...Im loving these creative juices!

10 comments:

Leonie said...

yay for the quilt Jacksta!! can't wait to see if finished :)

CHD said...

I'm starting my first quilt too. You are way further ahead than me- I've just cut squares so far. Your's looks good. Good idea with the cake too. Cx

Miriam said...

awesome - i wing pretty much everything but I don't care for symmetry too much so it works in my favour

Rachel Kate said...

Love making curries too! And am definitely a plastic Indian haha :) your quilt looks amazing-no way would I attempt that! Go you xo

PaisleyJade said...

Love your quilt -so proud of you, especially cause quilts are sooooo hard! Love curries and cake too. Let me know if you ever need a support person next time you go to spotlight ;)

Ange - Tall, Short and Tiny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jacksta said...

oops sorry Ange! Accidently deleted your comment while I was getting rid of a spammer>

She said...
"Your quilt is gorgeous, love the colours and patterns. LOVE them. And your cake and curries...I just love it all!"

Tall Pipi said...

Absolutely LOVE the colours! Well done. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Gail said...

1. Quilt - um WOW. Love your choice of colours here!! I think you should use it on a bed! too good for a picnic blanket!!

2. Curry - um, not local, but NEXT time I'm in your hood, I'll hit you up for a curry cooking lesson - thanks in advance.

3. Layer chocolate cake - um, this will be the dessert to no.2.
xx

Meghan Maloney Photography said...

Go you in your creative awesomeness! That quilt is so cool - I love the patterns, and I'd be anal enough to want all the patterns to match nicely too!